I have explored four options for gluing up the ornaments.
- thick CA
- it works well but a very good fit is needed
- there is some concern over its becoming brittle with age and the different types of wood causing the joints to break. This has not been a concern for me but it helps to be aware.
- polyurethane glue
- has a long set up and drying time
- leaves a foamy residue that is hard to clean up
- fills gaps well but the fill is weak
- 2 part Epoxy; 5 minute set
- needs to be mixed
- good gap filling with high strength
- quick set time means more than one batch if more than four or five ornaments need to be glued up
- hard to clean up without damaging the finish on the ornament
- long wait before final strength
- hot glue
- the gun is already hot
- good gap filling with reasonable strength for this application
- fast set up time
- need to be sparing in amounts as it is hard to clean up without marring the finish
Lately I have been using the hot glue with great results.